Friday, May 12, 2006

For Moma


Today I would like to dedicate my space to honoring my mom.









(My Mom & my little sister Grace)


I would like to provide to concrete examples of the honoring of mothers from the NT. The first example that I would like to highlight is found in 2 Timothy 3:14-15.

You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you wisdom that leads to salvation through fait which is in Christ Jesus.

Here we see Paul's encouragement to his spiritual son. In short, Paul exhorts Timothy to continue what he has already excelled abundantly in doing. Timothy is to stay on the narrow path, and keep the gospel as the center of his ministry.

What is interesting, and pertains to motherhood, is from whom did Timothy learned the sacred writings? The answer is, his mother Eunice and his grandmother Lois. Here is why I say that. First, Paul says that Timothy learned these things from childhood. Second, chapter 1 and verse 5 sheds light on our question as well:

For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well.

Third, in Acts 16:1 we see that Timothy's father was not a believer and thus it was his mother and grandmother who taught him the Scriptures. From these three observations I think that we can easily deduce that Paul, in 2 Tim 3:14-15, is honoring Eunice and encouraging Timothy to remain in the faith that his mother introduced him to.

The second example I would like to point out from the NT is found in John 19:25-28:

But standing by the cross of Jesus were His mother, and His mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus then saw his mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold your son!" The he said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother!"

In these, some of the very last words of Christ, He honored His mother by ensuring that she would be cared for. The very son of God, honoring His earthly mother. He understood that she was not any sort of co-redemptrix to be glorified with Him, and that she would need to be cared for when he left. This should be a wonderful example for us as we look to honor our mothers on Mother's Day.

(Moma, Dad, & Grace)

The Mom in My Life
As I said at the top this is for my mother.

Moma,
You, like Eunice, have passed on your faith to me. You have taught me the Scriptures and always been there. I can only remember one baseball game that you missed, and that was because you were in the hospital. Even then you insisted that I played. That means a lot to me. From you I have observed how a house is to be run, and how children are to be raised. Through the years you have "fixed" enough food and sweet tea to fill an ocean, and you never complained about it. You are the very
definition of hospitality. Our home was, and is, always open to anyone who want a meal. Our friends, and at times entire teams, where always at our house. In many ways you were a mom to most of the Clearwater Christian Baseball team. Moma, you hospitality has extended all the way to China. Now, little Grace will have the opportunity of having you pour your life into her as you did with Steve and I. I know that I speak from Elyse when I tell you that we are so excited about the prospect of raising a small child at the same time as you. Not only will we get the hand-me-downs, but we will also have the opportunity to see you doing what we will have to do soon. I love you.

P.S.
I have several things to say to honor my Wife, the future mom of our family, but they became to personal for this format.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home