Monday, May 01, 2006

Humility: Day Two

Because humility stems from a proper knowledge of God, conversely pride is a distortion of God. This makes pride one of the most serious sins. When we struggle with pride we are contending with God for supremacy. In our pride we have decided that our way is better than God’s way, and thus we sin. We are trying to usurp God’s position as King of the Universe, and place ourselves on His throne. God takes pride very serious because it is an abomination to Him.


Proverbs 16:5
Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the LORD; be assured he will not go unpunished.

Not only are we seeking to steal God’s supremacy in our pride, but we are also seeking to glorify ourselves rather than God in our pride. In the end the proud person seeks to glorify himself and not God. Whether it is intentional or not in our pride we are attempting to deprive God of the glory that only He is worthy to receive.

As you go through your day today make it a point to stop and figure out if what you are doing is for your own glory, or for God's glory.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of
glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my
pride

Forbid it Lord, that I should boast
Save in the death of
Christ my God
All the vain things that charm me most
I sacrifice them to
His blood

See, from His head, His hands, His feet
Sorrow and love
flow mingled down
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose
so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine
That were a
present far too small
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my
life, my all

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home