Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Housekeeping

This week has been filled with tech work for the blog, and I feel as though I have neglected the spiritual side of this blog. It is my hope, however, that the podcast that I have set up through this blog will prove to be an encouragement to you all (if you are having trouble following the directions let me know via a comment).

I would like to comment on two unrelated topics today.

It has been brought to my attention by a catholic observer of this blog (and self-proclaimed friend) that I need to be absolved so that I can go to heaven. In fact, "my friend" has gone so far as to ask "Why don't you want to be alive?" There are several difficulties with this dialogue that have forced me to address it in a public forum. First, "my friend" will not reveal his name (or even a blogger name), he insists on posting as anonymous. Second, "my friend" will not interact with me at all. It has been his "MO" to post incredibly long comments (usually articles that he has not written), and never respond to any criticism. Unfortunately this has forced me to screen all comments on this blog.


Before I respond to “my friends” latest attempt to comment on this blog I would like to say two things. 1) I am sure that “my friend” has the best of intentions. He earnestly believes something and thinks that unless I accept his RCC faith I will be damned. I appreciate his love for me, but I do not appreciate the immature manner in which he is demonstrating it. Because he has refused to identify himself I am only left to wonder who this person is. I have a few good ideas of who this is, and I wish that we could just get together over a real cup of coffee and discuss this matter. The manner in which “my friend” is trying to have this conversation leads me to think that he is afraid to dialogue with me (I a not sure why). Even if “my friend” is no more than a high-school student I would hope that we could just have an honest assessment of Scripture and go from there. 2) Due to the nature of his comment I will not devote anymore time to responding to him until he, at the very least, reveals his identity to me. I will briefly respond to a comment he sent me with only with a question for him to think about.

The text is John 6:53. Anonymous has used this text to show that only through the RCC Eucharist can I be saved. Before I deal with this matter I, again, would like to ask Anonymous how he would handle the rest of this chapter. To be specific I would like to know what he thinks (or the RCC thinks) about John 6:63.

“For this reason I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”

For now I will leave the ball in his court.

HUMILITY

I am still doing a lot of reading on humility and I found this very convicting quote from Jonathan Edwards:

“The degree of humility is to be judged by the degree of abasement, and the degree of the cause for abasement: but he that is truly and eminently humble never thinks his humility great. The cause why he should be abased appears so great, and the abasement of the frame of his heart so greatly short of it, that he takes much more notice of
his pride than his humility.”


(the grand prize goes to the first person to identify the source of this JE quote)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home