Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Taking a class from Spurgeon



Over the past couple of weeks I have been slowly working my way through the C. H. Spurgeon classic "Lectures to My Students." As I think about it now it is amazing to me that I have never read the entire book before. Quite frankly I am a little disappointed that no professor ever required me to read it (not even in pastoral ministry class). I am reading it now, and it is all because a dear brother in the Lord purchased it for me. I am quite thankful that the Father has allowed me to be a part of His church. And I am quite thankful that my dear brother thought of me when he saw this book.

As I progressed in my reading I soon realized that there was much for me to learn within those pages. I decided that I needed to slow down, and record some of Spurgeon's thoughts in my own notes. The writing helps me to retain, and it make those gold nuggets from Spurgeon easily accessible. Today I would like to regurgitate a little Spurgeon in the hopes that it will benefit you in the same way that I have benefited from it.


What follows are my notes just how they appear. I will begin my notes from chapters 16, 17, 18.



XVI "The Need of Decision for Truth"
pg 225: Luther was the man for decision. He spoke w/ thunder for there was lightning in his faith.
> It is very ridiculous to hear good truth from bad men.
> Truth has not fully given you her friendship till all thy doings are marked by her seal.
pg 226: Our preaching must not be articulate snoring. There must be power, life, energy, vigor. We must throw our whole selves into it, and show that the zeal of God has eaten us up.
pg 227: The little court inside my heart is not satisfied unless some retribution be exacted for the dishonour done to God.
pg 231: ...it is an age which is very impressible, and therefore I should like to see you very decided, that you may impress it.


XVII "Open-air Preaching- a Sketch of its History"
pg 234: There are some customs for which nothing can be pleaded, except that they are very old. In such cases antiquity is of no more value that the rust on a counterfeit coin.
pg 238: History repeats itself b/c like causes are pretty sure to produce like effects.



XVIII "Open-air Preaching- Remarks Thereon"
pg 258: As a miller hears his wheels as though he did not hear them, or a stoker scarcely notices the clatter of his engine after enduring it for a little time... so do many members of our congregations become insensible to the most earnest addresses, and accept them as a matter of course.



In the folowing Wednesdays I will continue to share my chopped up, and misspelled notes from Spurgeon. If you have never read Spurgeon I would encourage you to do so.
Here are some Spurgeon links that will be more than helpful:

Pyromaniac's recent post about Spurgeon

Spurgeon Archive

Spurgeon U.S.

The Letters of Spurgeon

Spurgeon's Library

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home