Friday, August 19, 2005

What If?

As I am sure most of you have done in the past, today I am playing the what if game. You know how it goes. "What if this had happened instead of this?" "What if I had this and..." Lets try one out.


What if I had not blown my shoulder out playing baseball right before my Junior season of college ball? Man do I love baseball, what if I could just have those two seasons back? I was only getting better, and would have without a doubt improved.






What if my wife and I had a little more money? We could use that money for so much good. If only I did not have to work a second job I would have so much more time for ministry. Not mention I would be able to actually spend a little time with my new bride (7 months last week).



What if instead of moving into my rattrap apartment my wife and I could have our own home? You know we could be building up equity, and establishing financial security for our kids (whom we have not met yet). We also would not have to live in an apartment complex that has its own sheriffs deputy assigned to it. No more thumping music at 2am and more rest.





Three what "ifs" seem sufficient, I better stop there.

But before I leave maybe I can at least answer a couple of these "what ifs."

First of all I know what would have happened if I had not blown my shoulder out playing baseball. If I did not have to have the surgery that effectively ended my playing days I would not be married right now. And I would not be working at the church that I am working at right now. I can look back and see the providence of God now (of course when it was happening that was not the case). Two of the greatest tools that God has used for my sanctification (my wife, and my ministry at the church) came about in my life because I had to stop playing ball.

As to the other two "what ifs," they are still going on. I cannot look back and see what God did yet. But I can trust that I have no money, two jobs, and a crummy apartment for some reason. Because of this I love having my two jobs (right now, check back on Monday), and my wife and I will always look back on our time in this apartment with fond memories. God is doing some work in my life. And if I would just put the American dream out of my mind, and let God accomplish His purpose in my life I would be all the better for it.

Romans 8:28-29

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

2 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

You're right on man. Great perspective! WHAT IF God hadn't chosen before the foundation of the universe to graciously redeem you from your sin; you'd be spiritually dead and headed for hell, regardless of whether or not you were the heir apparent to Micky Mantle living in Beverly Hills. It wouldn't matter. Grace abounds friend, thanks for reminding us of that!

21/8/05 2:04 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing, so that also at the revelation of His glory you may rejoice with exultation.(1 Pet 4:12-13) Halleluia, Jesus. Amen.

28/8/05 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home