Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Thank God...

Where is your faith?


I know what my faith is built on, I know what the object of my faith is, and I know the content of my faith. But there are times when it seems as though I have misplaced my faith. Sometimes I find my faith in the bank, and my money in my heart (phrase borrowed from Derek Webb). Sometimes I forget my faith in the Sunday school room. And for the life of me I cannot figure out why it is that my faith can be the easiest thing to forget. Why is it that when I face a difficult situation, or a trying time that I have to work to remember the work that Christ has done for me? If I could only force myself to hold onto my faith with white knuckles while everything else in the world is flying past me. Thank God for the vast resources that have been provided to me as I run this race, and do my best to hold onto my faith.


Thank God for the Gospel. The Gospel which is the power of God unto salvation for men. In this Gospel my sins can be covered, and my spiritual void can be filled with Christ righteousness. In this double imputation I am justified. When God looks at me he does not see my weakness, or my foolishness, or my sin. When God looks at me he sees the strength of Christ, the wisdom of Christ, and the righteousness of Christ. God sees my sin punished on the Christ. Just as through Adam sin entered the world, so also through Christ salvation entered the world. Because God sees Christ when he looks at me I have been adopted into the divine family.



Galatians 4:4-7
But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.



Thank God for his Word. The Word which has been revealed to man through the
Inspiration of the Spirit. The Word which is just a powerful now as it was when God spoke creation into existence. God has given us His written Word so that we may glorify him. If you want to get serious about your faith, if you want to see the world upside down, if you want to rejoice in trials, then get into God’s Word. Dive deep into the depths of Scripture and only come up for air to pray for wisdom. But do not immerse yourself in Scripture unless you are ready for a change. If you are anything like me you do not like change, but God wants to change us through his word. It is the Spirit of God through the Word of God that will bring a lasting change in your life. A change that will bring you closer to the image of Christ. A change that will bring glory to God’s name. If you want to know God’s will for your life, look no further than the Bible.



2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and
or training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good
work.



Thank God for the Church. How beautiful is our Savior, and how beautiful is our Savior’s body. God has not isolated us, but rather he has made us His community. We have been brought together from every race, every country, and every class to edify each other as we serve the Lord. The Church is the only place where every tribe, tongue and nation can meet together in love with one commonality, Christ. What a great blessing and responsibility God has given us in the Church.



Ephesians 4:1-7
I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another
in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one
Spirit- just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call- one Lord, one faith, one
baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But grace was
given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

God must be on a roll with the Gospel. I had no idea you'd written about the Gospel, and then this morning He put it on my heart that I needed to. He is good. Thanks for a great post. I hope you don't mind that I put a link to your site on mine. Thanks for checking in and leaving your encouraging comments. I love John Piper. Tozer is one of my favorites, too. R.C. and I don't totally share doctrine, but I love listening to him anyway. My brother-in-law is a trained pastor and a Reformed Presbyterian. He and I have some very spirited conversations (when he grants me the privilege). God Bless. Sue

11/8/05 4:14 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Sue,

I know what you mean about R.C. I really like him, and a lot of his material. However there are somethings that he and I will never see eye to eye on.


Paul

12/8/05 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home